All facts checked by: Kat Brown – Nutritionist/Dietitian, MS, RDN, RYT
In the everyday search to discover the next best weight loss secret, you will be sure to come across various pills, creams, shakes, and diets to help you get there. As the search continues, there are some products that you will never even give the time of day to that pop-up.
Your desperation to shed off those extra pounds might even drive you to try every bizarre invention and component out there. Today I will discuss sea moss for weight loss.
But what If there is such a component, as strange as it may seem, is actually backed up by scientific research and data? What if this is the secret ingredient in your quest to help you in your weight loss journey?
Studies and research have found one that would take you by surprise. It’s none other than sea moss. You will be surprised at the many sea moss benefits and it comes available to you in the forms of sea moss gel, capsules, and pills. So to learn more about this wondrous sea vegetable, keep on reading…
What Is Sea Moss?
Chondrus crispus (often titled Irish sea moss or carrageen moss) is a species of red algae or seaweed. These grow lavishly along with the rocky parts of the Atlantic coast of Europe and North America. To give you a description, it is a spiny, edible plant, and has some similarities to other edible seaweeds, including kombu, dulse, or wakame.
Sea moss grows naturally in waters and tide pools along coastal lands covered in rocks. The most familiar sea moss is a red seaweed that gets its name from its tell-tale color in its habitat. Sea moss can grow in different shades as well, depending on factors such as the local climate and water temperatures.
Sea moss benefits, to name a few, include being super nutritious, loaded with vitamins and minerals, beneficial for your hair, skin, and heart, and also, of course, assisting in weight loss. The great news for us is that we don’t need to go harvesting them to enjoy their benefits.
Although accessible in its natural form, sea moss comes readily available to us in the form of sea moss capsules, pills, or supplements. These supplements may contain sea moss on their own, or with a combination of other ingredients. You can also purchase sea moss gels and powders.
Sea moss also has a history of being used in cultures close to where the moss naturally grows. Sea moss is a natural, reliable source of a thickener called carrageenan. This property makes it an excellent addition to soups and stews.
Some companies use this to their advantage since the thickening properties of sea moss can be used to create products such as vitamin gummies or gels. It is also used as a stabilizer in the cosmetic and food industries.
There are two types of sea moss available on the market: Genus Gracilaria and Chondrus Crispus. Genus Gracilaria is yellow. This one is called dried sea moss. Chondrus Crispus is called Irish sea moss. This is also called purple sea moss or red alga. Raw sea moss contains very higher levels of vitamin a, vitamin b, vitamin d, amino acid, and anti-inflammatory properties. Sea Moss also contains fiber content and it reduces potential health risks
How does Sea Moss Benefits Us?
- Supporting digestive function – Sea moss helps improve gut health and digestion. it serves as a probiotic in our gut, which permits healthy bacteria to flourish. Sea moss is also high in fiber. The fiber we get from sea moss promotes a healthy colon and digestive system, (which in turn boosts our metabolism) while removing harmful bacteria.
- Supporting thyroid function – Sea moss is rich in iodine, which is a crucial mineral the thyroid needs to create and use important hormones in the body. Without enough iodine, the thyroid hormone may malfunction and could cause metabolic issues.Sea moss is a natural source of iodine and may help prevent iodine deficiency. Sea moss improves your thyroid health. The nutrients of Irish sea moss are very helpful for your thyroid gland.
- Skin nourishment – Sea moss really boasts its benefits in this category. Loaded with minerals and vitamins, it can soothe the skin and help with inflammation. As a natural moisturizer and soother, it’s especially appreciated by those who suffer from eczema or psoriasis.
Sea moss also assists in the production of collagen and keratin in your skin. Furthermore, it helps your skin retain its natural water content. This helps strengthen your skin and gives it the elasticity it needs to prevent unsightly wrinkles. This is great news for those of us that don’t want to look older than we really are.
- Improved immune function – Sea moss contains potassium chloride, iron, and antioxidants which are minerals that help the body reduce inflammation and contributes to overall immune health. People take it to stave off infections because of its boosting effect on the immune system. It is especially helpful when fighting off colds as they reduce congestion and clears out phlegm buildup in the lungs. So, whether you are feeling poorly and looking for a soothing remedy, or you are looking to strengthen your immune system, sea moss is a win on all fronts.
- Heart health – Sea moss is one of the most natural sources of omega 3 fatty acids. This is crucial for cardiovascular health and overall wellbeing. Studies suggest that sea moss may improve cholesterol balance and thin out the blood, easing the pressure on the muscles and valves around your heart. Ultimately, it reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Blood sugar management – Diabetics would be glad to know that adding sea moss pills or sea moss capsules to your diet will greatly benefit you, especially in preventing those sudden blood sugar spikes and crashes. It seems to help the body react to insulin more effectively, meaning less work for your body to control its blood sugar levels. Sea moss contains vitamin a, vitamin k, magnesium, and fatty acid. All these nutrients are really helpful for blood sugar management.
- Help you lose weight – The many health benefits of sea moss for weight loss will be discussed in detail below. Powdered sea moss or sea moss products such as sea moss pills, sea moss gel, capsules, and sea moss supplements with help you with proper health management and weight loss. If you use the gel form of Sea moss for losing body weight, then you can take the right amount of moss per day. You will see the positive effects of weight loss benefit. So try moss gel for losing body fat mass.
- May increase feelings of fullness – The carrageenan found in sea moss helps control appetite and may help you lose weight. Carrageenan is found in sea moss. It helps dissolve fats and oils in your gut. By slowing down digestion, carrageenan may also help keep you full for longer.
Let’s describe how organic Irish moss helps you in your weight loss journey.
How Sea Moss Is Used for Weight Loss:
Research has shown that edible seaweed may help support weight loss. A 12-week study conducted, made up of 78 adults, showed that those who took 1,000 milligrams of red seaweed extract per day had a major reduction in the overall body fat as well as weight than the placebo group. Research posted to Marine Drugs also noted that a compound called fucoxanthin, found in many seaweeds, shows promise in helping to break down and metabolize body fat.
Weight loss effects may vary based on the different types of seaweed, but the overall aim is to aid in weight loss. Much of the research focuses on isolated compounds found within the sea moss rather than the effects of sea moss generally. Sea moss may aid in weight loss due to its carrageenan content because it increases the feeling of fullness, lowers body fat, and improves your microbiota profile.
Research also indicates it may support weight loss due to the following properties and effects:
- Regulate your appetite
- Influence fat metabolism
- Modulate your gut’s friendly bacteria
- Lowering dietary fat absorption
- Reducing the creation of fat cells
- Increasing the breakdown of stored fat
- Promoting the “fat-burning” effect of brown fat tissue
- It May have a probiotic effect
- It can build muscle and assist in workout recovery.
- Provides thyroid support
Sea Moss The Superfood
Sea moss is known to be a potent anti-inflammatory and contains anti-bacterial, anti-aging, and anti-viral properties. It even aids the body fight back against the everyday reality of aging. It is one product that’s available in either sea moss gels, sea moss pills, sea moss powders, and sea moss capsules that target and fight off so many vast health issues, all the while prolonging healthy body functions.
If consuming it or using it topically seems too adventurous for you, powders, capsules, and pills provide a convenient and accurate way of administering the nutritional benefits of sea moss. This only takes somewhere between 20 to 30 minutes to break down and digest. Either way, you win!
Reinette Robbertze is a highly qualified professional in the health and nutrition industry, having completed both Journalism and Nutrition diplomas. With a remarkable portfolio of health blogs and magazine articles to her name, Reinette’s writing is fueled by her genuine passion for healthy living. Drawing on her academic background, Reinette delivers authentic and insightful information to her readers. Her engaging writing style, blended with personal anecdotes, creates an immersive experience that keeps readers engaged and informed. Keep following her work for the latest updates and informative articles on health and nutrition.