Are you looking for how to gain weight but safely and healthily for your body?
You have come to the right blog.
Not everyone wants to lose weight, some people want the opposite. But gaining weight is not about binge eating without control.
It’s okay to want to improve our appearance for looking good but we have to do things healthily. Trying to subject our bodies to extreme processes can be dangerous.
Keep reading and here you will learn with us how to gain weight in a healthy way.
What are the best foods for growing weight?
When people want to gain weight, what they want is to gain muscle mass. 2 pounds of muscle is not the same as 2 pounds of fat.
To achieve weight gain that is mostly non-fat, you have to be selective when it comes to eating.
Consuming sodas, donuts, and other junk food initially can help you gain weight but in the form of fat. It can also increase your risk of developing cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
Even without being overweight, having a high body fat ratio increases the risk of type 2 diabetes and other health problems.
Instead of gaining belly fat, it is best to gain weight more healthily. This requires gaining a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat.
To gain weight healthily, focus on eating more nutrient-dense foods. Also, you need to lead a healthy lifestyle in general. This involves exercising, getting enough sleep, and reducing stress.
The best foods to gain weight healthily are the following:
- Lean red meat.
- Skim milk.
- Skinless chicken or turkey breast.
- Skimmed cheeses
- Skim Greek yogurt.
What makes weight growth important?
More than 74% of adults in the US are overweight but there are also a lot of underweight people.
Some individuals may have a quick metabolism or a genetic propensity for being underweight. Additionally, being underweight may indicate malnutrition or underlying health issues.
It is important to have adequate weight to keep our body healthy and strong. A person with a very low weight can become malnourished. Malnutrition causes organ damage and can even be life-threatening.
If you are looking for a change in your body, you have to be clear about where you are and how far you want to go. To do this, the statement Chrissy Metz will be very motivating:
“To effect change in your life, you have to start by first accepting yourself for who you are right now. That is the only way to get to the place you want to be.”
Now, should I worry if I am underweight?
Maybe, look at the possible consequences.
Health issues related to underweight
Underweight people can be harmed in the following ways:
- Having twice as likely to die as people of normal weight.
- Fertility impairment.
- Damage to the immune system.
- Increased probability of infection.
- Suffering from osteoporosis and fractures
- Increased risk of developing sarcopenia (age-related muscle wasting).
- May be more susceptible to certain diseases.
Now that you know the consequences, you may be worried and want to know the causes of being underweight. Here we tell you.
The root causes of underweight
Unhealthy weight loss can be the result of several problems, including:
Eating disorders: These include anorexia nervosa which is a serious mental illness.
Thyroid problems: Hyperthyroidism, or an overactive thyroid, can speed up metabolism and cause little weight loss.
Celiac Disease: It is the sensitivity or allergy to gluten and foods that contain it. The prevalence of the celiac disease has generally increased during the 20th and 21st centuries.
Uncontrolled diabetes, especially types 1: Can cause significant weight loss.
Cancer: Cancer can induce a hypercatabolic state in the body, resulting in more energy being used. The severity of the weight loss and the type of cancer can affect how much weight is lost.
Infections: Some infections can leave a person dangerously underweight. Parasites, tuberculosis, and HIV infection are examples of this.
Now that you know the causes and consequences of weight loss, you may want to get going. Read on and learn the best methods and ideas to gain weight healthily.
Some good strategies for gaining weight
Eat more calories
If you want to gain weight you must eat extra calories than your body needs.
In general, you should aim to eat 300 to 500 more calories each day than you expend. Try to eat 700 to 1,000 more calories per day if you want to gain weight quickly.
You don’t have to do this indefinitely. You must do it until you achieve the weight you are looking for.
Consume more protein
Protein from animal sources must be consumed in appropriate amounts for proper growth, development, and health.
The best protein-rich foods are:
- Dairy products
Many times getting enough protein from food alone is a challenge. Protein supplements such as whey protein may be helpful in such cases.
However, protein can also drastically decrease appetite and hunger. This makes it more difficult to consume adequate calories.
Overdoing it on protein can increase your risk of heart disease. Always consult with a doctor about the amount of protein to consume.
Increase your intake of fat and carbohydrates
If gaining weight is a priority for you, eat plenty of foods high in carbohydrates and healthy fats. Protein, fat, and carbohydrates ought to be present in moderation at each meal.
Avoid demanding eating regimens such as intermittent fasting. Demanding regimens can be beneficial for weight loss. To gain weight, these regimens will make it difficult to consume enough calories.
Eat at least three meals a day, and whenever you can, include an energy-dense snack.
At least three meals should be had each day, along with an energizing snack whenever possible.
Eat more meals that are packed with energy
The following foods are high in energy and may aid in weight gain:
- Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and peanuts.
- Full-fat dairy, such as whole milk, full-fat yogurt, cheese, and cream fats.
- Dried fruit, including raisins, dates, prunes, and others.
- Oils like extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
- Lamb, hog, beef, and chicken are examples of meat; you can even choose cuts with higher fat.
- Grains, particularly whole grains like oats and brown rice.
- Potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes.
- Additional foods riches in energy as dark chocolate, peanut butter, avocados, coconut milk, cereal, and trail mix.
10 fast ideas about how to gain weight
If you combine rigorous resistance training with a high-calorie diet, you may gain weight. There are, a variety of ways to put on weight even more quickly.
Here are 10 other suggestions for gaining weight:
- Take extra meals. When you can, include an extra meal or snack, such as right before bed.
- Do not hydrate with water before meals. This could make you feel fuller and make it more difficult to consume adequate calories.
- Drink more milk. Whole milk can be a convenient method of consuming additional high-quality protein and calories.
- Use larger plates. If you are trying to consume more calories, consider using large plates to serve more food.
- Consider weight gain shakes. Weight gain shakes are high in calories, carbohydrates, and protein.
- Drink your coffee with cream. This is an easy approach to increasing the number of calories.
- Rest well at night. A healthy sleep schedule is crucial for muscle development.
- Try creatine monohydrate. This is a supplement for muscle growth and can help in weight gain.
- Eat your source of protein and fat first. If your plate contains a variety of items, start with those that are high in calories and protein. Eat the foods with the most fiber last, such as raw vegetables.
- Avoid smoking. If you already do, think about quitting. Smokers usually weigh less than non-smokers.
Maybe some people want to gain weight, others to lose weight. Whatever our goal, the perfect body does not exist and we must be clear about it. Ashley Graham is right when she says:
“There is no one standard definition of beauty or one perfect size.”
When will I begin to increase in weight?
There is no specific time to start seeing results. Each body is different and reacts differently to the stimulation it receives.
The metabolism of each person influences the time of the results. As long as you’re doing the right thing just focus on it.
Once you start seeing results, don’t stop. Follow your eating plan and your exercises until you reach the goal.
Always remember to follow the recommendations of your doctor or nutritionist. This way you will know that you are doing things right.
Do you already know how to gain weight?
At this point, you should be clear on how to gain weight. It’s not about making big sacrifices, it’s about doing the right thing. Focus on following a plan and motivate yourself day by day until you achieve the goal. With effort and enthusiasm, you will not only gain weight but your health will improve.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
I’m a freelance health and fitness writer. I love sharing my own experiences in nutrition and wellness. I have been training and eating healthy for more than 15 years, so I have a lot of valuable information to share.